Spending money on fixing up your laundry room can pay off big time when you put your home on the market. Before plunging into a laundry room re-design, though, it’s important to take time to consider various options to include.
Keep these tips in mind when planning your laundry room re-design:
- Take measurements. If you’re putting in a new washer and dryer, measure the space they’ll be going in to make sure there’s enough room for the doors to open.
- Consider a front-loading machine. These machines are more efficient than top-loading ones. A front-loading machine can also help you save space if you stack a dryer on top of it. Just keep in mind that they do cost more than top-loading machines.
- Choose safe materials. Use braided steel washer hoses to reduce the risk of flooding from your washing machine. Install a metal dryer-vent pipe that is sealed with foil tape to reduce the risk of fires from your dryer.
- Install an updated utility sink. New utility sinks come in designs that are much more efficient than older ones. Look for a stainless steel sink that is up to 12 inches deep and has curved corners for easier cleaning.
- Brighten it up. Instead of having a laundry room with a lack of color, add some brightness to yours. Choose a checkered floor in glue-down linoleum for added visual appeal, or choose a warm cherry finish for cabinets instead of plain white.
- Choose open storage. Install open shelves and cupboards for easier access to items you need. You can hang curtains across the openings if you don’t want them completely open.
Photo via Houzz