If your 2015 plans include selling your home, winter’s snowy days give you a good chance to get some organizing done. While you don’t have to worry about buyers visiting just yet, this is a great time to get rid of clutter and tidy things up.
Take advantage of the weather outside and use this time to get your mudroom in order first. This room tends to fill up quickly with boots, coats, winter sporting equipment and other seasonal items. Use these mudroom organization tips to help you out:
- Clear out the clutter. Take a good look at everything that’s in your mudroom, and determine what you can keep and what can go. If you’re keeping items in there that are out of season, consider storing them elsewhere to free up more space.
- Categorize items. Group items according to what you’re keeping, what you can sell, what should be thrown out, and what can be donated. Once you’ve done that, you can place the items in each group into smaller groups.
- Separate daily and seasonal items. Keep items that you use daily in a convenient spot in the mudroom. Seasonal items that aren’t being used can be stored away. Those that are currently in use can be kept in an easy to reach place until the end of the season.
- Set up specific zones. For even better mudroom organization, set up zones for different uses, such as sports or laundry. This makes it easier for you and your family members to find what you need.
- Choose easy storage options. Opt for units that have adjustable shelves that can fit items of different sizes. Use baskets on the shelves to hold smaller items.
Photo via Houzz